This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page: 1
Gym Expansion and Renovation 
At the last Sunshine Board Workshop, Joyce, Jorge and I expressed our opinions that we were all in favor of using the Capital Expenses funds to expand and renovate the gym with certain conditions explained herein. Jorge stated that he would like us to lease equipment instead of buying it. Joyce stated that she wanted all of the equipment in the gym replaced. I followed up with Chuck to get proposals for replacing the current equipment and leasing it compared to buying it. He felt further discussion should be held. After which, both Joyce and Jorge expressed that replacing the equipment was more important than renovating the gym. Furthermore, Joyce stated the equipment that is most important to replace are the two treadmills. Jorge favored getting cardio equipment with internal TV apparatus which would eliminate some requested line items in the capital budget associated with a new TV. I personally feel that the two ellipticals should be replaced. Lastly, Joyce stated that she would like two complete set of weights to be in the gym, which would mean purchasing additional dumbbells, and that the floor mats should be replaced.

After the Sunshine Board discussion Joyce sent a letter to the board in lieu of attending the December board meeting (which ultimately was cancelled) stating that she was against using the capital expense funds to expand the gym and would rather use the money to repair the recreational facilities in the community including the gym in its current configuration.

Given the discussion thus far, I am inclined to direct staff to get proposals on the ellipticals and treadmills for purchasing and leasing, to get proposals to complete two full sets of dumbbells with our current dumbbells including any necessary racks to hold them and for staff to move forward with replacement of the worn mats using the operations budget gym funds. Would any supervisors object to this direction?

As far as expanding the gym, I suggest that we first get proposals for the items that LAF has proposed which Joyce outlines in her email and based on those prices we can ascertain if the gym expansion and repair of those items can both be done within the given budget. What do the other supervisors think of this?

Cyril

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:12 am
I agree with using operation funds to purchase new need equipment. However, I recommend that we get more residents input before we exceed spending the amount of money it cost to renovated the Gym.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:24 pm
Gym Expansion and Renovation – I’d say if we should hold off on the configuration and restructuring of the Gym, In the meantime I’d say we seek proposals for leasing all new equipment, replace the matting in the gym, repaint and freshen up the place. My 1st choice would be to expand however, who knows we have land across the clubhouse which we may be able to consider building in the future. $90k although was a high level estimate I believe is very high for such a small area.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:47 pm
To clarify Cyril's initial statement... I have been in favor of renovation of the gym equipment, but never in favor of the proposed expansion project. I have time and time again and every meeting that there is no storage in the building, so we've been utilizing the kitchens for storage. Now, we are taking away one kitchen to host a café in and the other kitchen has to be evacuated to host guests occupying the building during parties. The only remote option of storage is the storage closet in the gym and we now want to spend thousands of dollars to eliminate that storage closet as well. It also states that I said that the treadmills were the highest priority and wanted 2 full sets of weights. My statements were such that I've only ever used the treadmills and the weights so that is all that I could attest to the conditions of. Neither of the treadmills function correctly and are always in use, so I would like to see these pieces of equipment replaced. As for the weights, there isn't even a full set of women's sized weights. So, when lifting weights, anyone using a weight less than 20 pounds can only use one weight at a time. I would like to see at least 1 full set of weights in all sizes. 2 sets would be a bonus, but for now I'd be content with 1 full set. After seeing the pictures submitted by the LAF committee showing the amount of need of repairs in our community, I just can't justify spending so much money to tear down things that don't need to be torn down. Especially things that are actually in need of use such as the storage closet.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:12 pm
Happy NewYear. In speaking with another resident on this issue, it was recommended that we should not spend any or too much to fix the gym. Instead, use the current beach club after removing the gym, should be used exclusive for events hosting and build a recreation facility across the street with a new gym, indoor racket/etc courts and the works.

A 2-4 year goal that would certainly turn our community into a more exclusive family entertainment community.

One more thing was brought up 2nd to this subject. Have we also considered hiring a management company, like Hunter's Green or Arbor Greene have to run the day to day activities of our community?

Thanks.
AJ

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:47 pm
First, I want to apologize for misunderstanding Joyce's position about the gym expansion. Also, AJ, we have a district management firm to run the day to day. That is Wrathel Hunt.

Regarding the dumbbells, Joyce am I understanding correctly that your suggesting 2 sets of the smaller weights below 15lbs? We currently have 2 sets between 15 and 35.

As far aso lack in general storage, we just approved the acquisition of a large room sized storage shed. My understanding is that the shed would make up for the lost space of expanding the gym.

At this point, I am still in favor of the LAF committee's original request to expand the gym before the recent change of position, because the expansion was shown by our budget survey to be an improvement desired by residents.

However, I would need to know the costs of the currently proposed improvements suggested by LAF to make an educated decision about the gym expansion before casting my vote one direction or the other.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:09 am
I would have to relook at the exact wording before making a full decision as to the direction the neighborhood responded with. I don't recall that it specified the details surrounding a complete remodel that residents agreed to.

As for the storage discussion. I know that we approved the purchase of a large outdoor storage unit, but I have to believe that there are still things needed to be stored that number will need to be located closer to the building than that storage unit will be placed. As well as things that will need to be stored in an air conditioned unit versus an outdoor unit.

I'm in agreeance with obtaining proposals for both options, but I am not in agreement at this time to spend the money to fully reconstruct the existing structure to that building when there are so many other existing structures that need to be repaired. Will you also give instruction to obtain proposals for the costs of the signs, fence repairs, net repairs, etc. that also need to be completed with regards to the already existing neighborhood structures such as the tennis court, basketball court, and much neglected hockey rink? I truly believe that we need to maintain what we already have inexistence!

Also, just to clarify, when you say that you are giving instruction to staff based off of our discussion. I just want to ensure that you are giving direction to obtain information not to spend any money. Is that correct?

Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:08 pm
Sorry I missed responding to the dumbbell question. Currently there is only 1 - 10 pound weight, 5 pound weight, etc. There aren't even 2 weights. Which means that when doing certain arm exercises, I must do one arm at a time. As much as 2 full sets would be wonderful! For now, simply 1 full set would be much appreciated!

Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:12 pm
To clarify, I can't give direction to the staff to spend money unless it's an emergency. When I say that I will give direction to the staff what I mean is that I will ask them to have information available to us for the next CDD Meeting so that we can make an educated decision on spending at that time.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:14 pm
Sounds great!

Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:16 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Go to page: 1

Search for: