This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page: 1
Oil stains on bricks 
John has provided us this new information regarding oil stains on bricks. Please comment on your thoughts regarding how we should proceed.

"Here is what I got from my last discussion with Republic,

1) They want to clean the streets to (lighten) the staining and replace sand as needed.
They feel that our pavers are 20 years old and therefore have had many vehicles leaking on them and it is hard for them to say who is responsible for the oil leaks.
They feel they are doing us a favor so we should just accept that they tried and move forward.
2) They feel paver replacement would be to costly and if that is what we want then they would have to file with the insurance and we would have to prove what spots of oil actually came from their vehicle.

They are coming to present the street cleaning option.

So we either
1) Accept their proposal and live with the stains but the streets and curbs get cleaned and sanded at Republics expense, or
2) Decline the proposal but then face litigation to resolve the issue..

FYI,
Brick Paving Systems have tried to clean some areas as well with different types of cleaners and had no success. "

Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:13 pm
when you say cleaning and sanding at their expense is that the entire community including gutters/curbs? If so I’d say we take consider this as an option.

Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:17 am
The last thing was the entire community since they tracked up and down every street. I just wanted you to understand that nothing they have tried has removed the stains so the stains would still be there after they clean the streets..

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:24 am
I've asked Chuck if he could weigh in on this discussion.

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:40 am
Is it is a possibility to stain all of the bricks the same color after they have been cleaned? This would then clean the streets as well as offer a uniformed nonpatchy look throughout the entire neighborhood?

Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:18 pm
It's black oil stains… Don't believe that would be an option.

Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:57 am
I think we should find out the cost of replacing the bricks that have the oil stain on them and also the cost of the cleaning that they will do and see which one is greater.

What do the other supervisors think about that idea?

Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:43 am
Would staining be a possibility to protect them for this occurring again in the future as well as create a uniformed look throughout the entire neighborhood eliminating the patchwork look? I agree with pricing to replace what they've destroyed, but am thinking about another solution to the patchwork look.

Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:09 pm
Joyce, I'm going to add a new topic for the staining discussion and we can use this one for the Republic issue.

Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:16 pm
If our pavers had been sealed regularly then we probably could have cleaned these with no issue.
Steve at Brick Paving Systems showed me some before and after of a community with a similar incident and the areas that were sealed came probably 85% clean as opposed to the ones that didn't have a sealer were like ours, impossible to clean.
Hind sight is 20/20. Now we just plan on a way to prevent the next catastrophe.

Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:21 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Go to page: 1

Search for: