This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page: 1, 2
Vehicle Speed Abatement 
The purpose of this topic is to discuss what can be done to reduce speeding in CLI.

The Supervisors have expressed frustration with the repeated stories of speeders in our community. Our speed boards have shown that speeding in excess of 10 mph (35 mph or more) is being done by about 3% of the drivers; roughly 30 drivers per day past the speed board.

Obviously, a small group of people are ruining the driving and living experience of the rest of the community. This is the same phenomenon that we see across the city, country and probably the world. So, what can we do about it, if anything?

There are several options that have been discussed in the past including 25 mph speed tables which allow cars to pass safely at 25 mph but speeds in excess of 25 mph will cause cars to be jolted. Another option that was discussed was paying for off-duty police officers, but resident surveys have shown that the majority of residents are not in favor of this option. Furthermore, this has been tried in the past, but it has not been effective in curbing speeding because when the police are not there, the speeders continue to speed. Still more options have been discussed.

However, the larger question is what level of speeding is tolerable to residents as a whole. Do the majority of residents have a Zero Tolerance policy on speeding in CLI? Or, is the majority satisfied with only 1-3% speeding depending on the day? Is a Zero Tolerance policy possible? If not, what level of speeding can be tolerated?

Knowing our goal will be important when we discuss speed abatement options.

What do the Supervisors think about this?

Mon May 02, 2016 1:27 pm
The attached report of a random day from our speed board shows 3% of the drivers exceeding 35 mph.

It also shows that a significant number of vehicles slow down when they see the speed boards because there are far more drivers with a peak speed higher than the average speed per vehicle. For example, 27 vehicles kept their average speed > 35 mph from the time the speed board started recording their speed until it stopped, while 50 vehicles peaked above 35 mph. Therefore, 23 vehicles had an average speed below 35 mphs so they had to have slowed down when seeing the speed board.

This indicates that the speed board slows down about half of the significant speeders.

Attachments:
CLI Daily Speed Report.jpg
CLI Daily Speed Report.jpg [ 1.99 MiB | Viewed 11544 times ]
Mon May 02, 2016 1:43 pm
based on this it really doesnt look like there are a significant amount of speeders. However I'm open to suggestions and a solution that will fit with our environment.

Tue May 03, 2016 8:48 pm
I know it's only a few speeders that we are talking about, but unfortunately it only takes one speeder to cause serious damage to a pedestrian or even worse a small child. I keep hearing over and over again that pedestrians should stay on the sidewalks and then they wouldn't have to worry. I strongly disagree with that statement and feel that pedestrians should always have the right of way especially in their own neighborhood! This should be a safe haven for all of us to be able to ride our bikes without worrying about getting hit by a speeding vehicle. I was anti the speed bumps for quite awhile but the problem infront of my home is getting worse instead of better. I don't feel comfortable going for family bike rides with my children any longer after almost bring hit by a vehicle on two separate occasions and then almost rear ended trying to turn my car into my own driveway. I know the data shows one thing, but I also know how I don't feel comfortable in my own neighborhood anymore and that's not ok for anyone to feel that way. We as a board need to do what we can to make our residents feel comfortable again. I don't have any one magical solution but truly feel like this is something we need to further research.

Wed May 04, 2016 11:29 am
We need to stop debating and make a decision. Recommend speed Bumps/Tables be installed.

Wed May 04, 2016 1:06 pm
What I see in our conversation is that we have different levels of tolerance for speeders. Essentially, between 0-3%. If 0% were the goal, the most effective way to get as close to 0% as possible would be to install speed humps. Of course, where there are no speed humps, those very few who disregard the folly of significant speeding will accelerate yet again. So, there is no silver bullet. Ultimately, the use of multiple methods that are proven to be effective may get us well below 1%. Assuming that is the goal.

Given the history of this issue and the current opinion of the Supervisors, I foresee an effective way of creating a plan that will achieve the short-term and long-term goals of our residents goal in regards to speed abatement. I'll outline that plan below in order of action item:

1. Speed Humps:
Consistent feedback from residents show that some residents have very strong negative feeling about speed bumps/humps. We also know that the proposal for ~$210,000 for multiple speed bumps in our 2016 Capital Budget Survey had a significantly unfavorable result. Therefore, moving forward with speed humps throughout the community would create immediate resistance.

However, we also know from Pool Surveys done several years ago that many residents are concerned about residents crossing the street in front of the club house. So, there is probably a more favorable opinion in the community regarding a single speed hump between the club house and the sports area across the street. This kind of a speed hump could be marked as a cross walk and allow vehicles to pass comfortably up to 25 mph but no faster.

Based on the results of this one speed hump, we could re-visit the issue to determine if more speed humps are called for.

2. Speed Boards:
The speed boards have been incredibly helpful in knowing actual speeding data. They also have shown themselves to be effective at slowing drivers down where they are located. They act like virtual speed humps for the unconscious speeders, even though they do not slow down the purposeful speeders. And, they have received unofficial high favorability ratings from residents.

Depending on what other speed abatement tools we put in place, like speed humps, the speed boards will allow us to compare speed data from before and after the installment of new tools which will give us a good sense of whether they are working.

3. Resident Survey:
I found Joyce's comment that her opinion has changed based on her new experiences and knowledge shows me that resident opinion can also change based on new knowledge that they are provided.

After the 2017 budget survey is done, we can have a Speed Abatement Survey in which we can educate residents regarding the data that we have obtained and ask them what their tolerance level is for speeding. We can flush out the contents of the survey together between now and then.

In conclusion:
Do the Supervisors think we should direct staff to get proposals for installing a 25-mph speed hump/cross walk in front of the club house that is made of brick and material that matches our roadway?

Thu May 05, 2016 10:51 am
I just want to remind everyone that on top of the speeding being an unsafe condition, our speed limit is a good speed to protect the structural integrity of the paver roads.
While 30- 35 mph may not seem like a high speed, it does strain the integrity of the pavers. These roads have a max rating of 40 mph. Which means any speed close to 40 strains the structure of the roadway. Any speed over 40 is causing direct damage to the roadway.
As we are doing the repairs we are finding that not only are the pavers being shifted but that the curbing that helps hold the pavers in place is being shifted resulting in fillers needing to be installed to keep the pavers aligned.
All this work is for not if we continue to drive the speeds that are being driven.
Yes, only a limited few drive what you deem excessively fast but it only takes a few to undo the work being done currently.
I believe the survey showed the residents want the roads repaired. An investment in speed humps to slow the speeds to the speed limit would also be an investment to prolong the life of the road and lessen the repeated repair costs.

Thu May 05, 2016 11:44 am
We are moving in the right direction to gain control over the speeding on our streets.

The proposed $210,000 was based on installing at least one hump on each Isle with multiple ones on CL Drive. Although, I am in favor of Cyril's idea to place one as a crosswalk in front of the Beach Club, we need to be more aggressive in taking back the civility of our streets.

Can we divide CL Drive into 4 areas and install one hump in each area? The effects of these humps must be immediate to the speeders and long lasting in the minds of all residents. Please keep in mind that our brick pavers are not the best surface to install these devices, so a specialize contractor is needed.

To John's point of the 25 MPH speed limit. Also, can we seriously look into reducing our speed limit to 20 MPH? Although, there are multiple studies in favor and against this idea, the cost will be minimal in comparison to either 1. Off duty TPD 2. Humps 3. Speed Monitors or 4. An accident fatality. See attached FL Statutes:

"The 2015 Florida Statutes
Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES
Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL
View Entire Chapter
316.183 Unlawful speed.-
(1) No person shall drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under
the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. In every event, speed shall
be controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person, vehicle, or other conveyance or object
on or entering the highway in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of at[ persons to use due
care.
(2) On all streets or highways, the maximum speed limits for all vehicles must be 30 mil.es per hour in
business or residence districts, and 55 mites per hour at any time at all other locations. However, with
respect to a residence district, a county or municipality may set a maximum speed limit of 20 or 25 mites per
hour on local streets and highways after an investigation determines that such a limit is reasonable. ]t is not
necessary to conduct a separate investigation for each residence district. The minimum speed limit on all
highways that comprise a part of the National System of interstate and Defense Highways and have not fewer
than four lanes is 40 mites per hour, except that when the posted speed limit is 70 mites per hour, the
minimum speed limit is 50 mites per hour."

No one fix will solve the speed problems on our streets but, these multiple ideas along with our renewed community relationship with TPD and a fully vested Neighborhood Watch Program will once again make our streets safer.

Thu May 05, 2016 8:12 pm
To begin: I do not agree with your usage of the 1% of speeders. From my understanding of what you've reported here you only consider speeders as anyone going 35+ mph. Our actual posted speed limit within Cory Lake is 25 mph. Therefore that means that anyone going over 25+ mph is speeding. Giving a 10mph window is not acceptable to consider as speeders in my book. Anyone going 35mph could greatly injure a small child or elderly adult if they were to strike them at that speed. I watched 2 strollers and one lady on a walker have to go into the road this morning to pass by a blocked sidewalk. If they would have been struck it could have caused great injury to any of them!

I see that you've also reported that the speed boards have shown data that drivers slow down when they see the flashing speed. However, there is a LARGE section of our neighborhood that never sees these flashing speed board signs. I believe that if they are truly a deterrent to speeders than maybe purchasing more of these signs to consistently be displayed throughout the neighborhood could be an idea. For example, I use the Cross Creek entrance 95% of the time and never ever pass a speed board. There are several side streets within the distance between the signs in both directions as well that never see the boards. I'm not entirely confident that based on where the boards are located that we even obtained accurate data.

I don't know that speed humps or bumps are a solution to our problem and don't feel that one large hump in one area of a 3 mile stretch is going to have any change on the problem at hand. Everyone in our community should be able to feel as if they are in a safe zone when needing to walk or ride on the road because of a blocked sidewalk. At this point in time, I don't think that is occurring in our community. Bumps or humps would require major funds as well as a major restructuring of our brick pavers. I personally feel that if the speed boards are working why not purchase more and obtain a consistent radius around the entire neighborhood with them?

I am also in favor of AJ's suggestion of decreasing the community speed limit to 15 or 20 mph. If you feel that the 10+ mph over is an acceptable allotment, then dropping the speed limit down to 15 or 20 and giving them the 10+ mph window would bring our community to the ideal speed of 25mph. It will also send a large signal to the residents that this is a problem and needs to be paid attention to. This will also help with John's report of the damage that is being caused to our roads. We have consistently heard complaints from residents about the upkeep of the bricks. If we can get them to decrease their speed, this will better protect our roadways and cause less damage and therefore have less repairs needed.

Lastly, if you really feel that a survey is needed for this matter then why not send it out sooner than later? Delaying the time length involved only delays the issue that much longer. I truly believe that time is of the essence and this is something that needs to be discussed and resolved as soon as possible.

Fri May 06, 2016 10:39 am
I did some further research on this matter over the weekend. My initial thoughts were wondering how much we do to post the speed limit throughout our neighborhood currently. As I drove through the neighborhood I only saw 4 posted speed limit signs. I don't believe that this is enough to bring awareness of the need to maintain a certain speed limit to those driving in our community. I also paid attention to my speed as I drove through the neighborhood. I drove the entire CL Drive and was passed twice as a maintained between 23 and 28 mph. The second time that I was passed was directly in front of the flashing speed sign that showed that the driver passing me was going 38 mph. Her brakes tapped as she saw the sign, but she still continued on. I also drove through 2 other gated communities over the weekend. Both had flashing speed limit signs posted and one also had children at play signs posted.

My suggestion at this time is to post several speed limit signs, along with children at play signs consistently throughout the neighborhood with even the possibility of a flashing yellow light on top. I believe the visual reminder will encourage drivers to look down and notice that they are not maintaining the 25mph. Without any current posted signs, there is nothing reminding them of the speed we would like for them to maintain within our community.

Mon May 09, 2016 12:38 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Go to page: 1, 2

Search for: