This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page: 1, 2
Gym 
Post Gym
I was in the GYM yesterday morning, Wednesday 8/3 around 8:00 AM. There were total of 11 people, basically on top each other. We got to do expand the gym before long. What are your thoughts?

Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:44 pm
Hi Sid and others,

I have not presented the survey results from the budget survey yet, but here are the results for expanding the gym:
86 (38%) For, 105 (46%) Against, 38 (17%) Neutral = 229 total unique residence responses
The spread of -8% Against is slightly greater than the Margin of Error = 5.5%. This indicates that the results are likely to be representative of the community as a whole.

If the board, at it's discretion, lumped the Neutrals with the Fors, and assessed the Margin of Error on a 2-point scale, then the MOE would be 11.5%. In that case the For + Neutral would be 124 (54%) vs. Against at 105 (46%) with a spread of 9%. Since 9% is not as large at the MOE of 11.5%, there is no clear indication that this result is a reflection of the whole community. So it can not be counted on as a majority opinion.

A significant number of the Against responders stated that the reasons for not being in favor of expanding the gym is either they don't use the gym or they don't see that it is busy.

My impression is that the gym gets busy at certain times of the day but not others, just like roads during rush hour.

These are the facts from the survey. I will admit that I am a gym user and a proponent of expansion. I recognize that the community is close to split on the gym expansion issue. Based on the results, I do not favor expanding the gym at this time. Before expanding the gym, I believe that more has to be done during the next fiscal year to encourage residents who want a gym expansion to make their case to the rest of the community. If a survey like this is done for the FY2018 budget and the results change, I would welcome that change and encourage the board members to follow through with the expansion.

Cyril

Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:01 pm
I think based on the number of residents in this community our GYM statistically is too small even with the maxiumn ecomonical expenasion possible. I'm in support of building across the street large enough to include a gym. Further, I understand there maybe a study that was done a few years ago concerning putting a building across the street. Recommend we take a look at the study if available and establish a survey based on the most economical facts and I think the community will support putting a building large enough to include a GYM across the street.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:01 pm
Thank you Cyril for sharing survey info.

I have seen residents walk in and immediately walk out of the gym because there is not enough room or their equipment is occupied by someone else.

Last week I stopped by at the CLI office and requested Wendy if she can pull Gym users stats for any three, one week usage (separately). I do understand that gym users quite often leave the gym to take a phone call and return or walkers gain entry to use the rest room. On the other
hand I have also seen residents bring their guest. We can discount say 10 to 15% from the stats to gauge the accurate users. We could compare it with pool users stats to gauge each facilities usage as part of a decision making process.

Lets also consider leaving a short survey in the Gym.

In my opinion a roomy, nicer fully equipped gym together with all other amenities we already have would surely attract new more sophisticated, high earners home buyers which will drive up home values in this great community.

Is 2017 budgeting done and approved?

Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:10 pm
I did find the 2012 future plan which included the expansion of the Beach Club for gym facilities.

The gym side of the building would only be to expand the existing restrooms into locker rooms.

The kitchen side would then be expanded to include racquet ball courts.

The cost of this expansion was estimated at 1.6 million.

The future plans for the land across the street only involved the addition of a walking trail, boat ramp parking and restrooms.

I do not see anything showing plans for a new building across the street.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:53 pm
John, So in those plans the gym side of the building would not have more workout space?

Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:20 pm
No it would just be enlarging the restrooms for lockers.
There isn't a detailed drawing involved, only a drawing of the exterior showing the building with the expanded space.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:40 pm
I've said a couple of times that the survey is great for obtaining a general opinion of the neighborhood, but then we as a board have the ultimate responsibility to make the decision as we believe is best for our community. With the survey results being so close, I truly believe that this is a time when we are going to have to come together to make a decision as the board in command. I wasn't able to attend the last meeting so am not sure what the discussion was surrounding the land near the Morris Bridge entrance we had assessed. I would like to discuss the option of selling that land and to use the money to build a new gym that would be on scale with the size of our community. I agree that the gym is always packed and I believe that it would be used even more if we had a larger space with the ability to offer more services.

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:08 am
I was able to get a spreadsheet from Identytech for the number of finger scans accessing the gym. From that spreadsheet I was able to filter a date range from July 11 - August 8, 2016 which yielded over 2000 scans. Obviously, as Sid pointed out, there would be some variances to consider but that's roughly about 70 residents a day accessing the gym.

Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:18 pm
I'm open to and welcome the discussion.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:24 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Go to page: 1, 2

Search for: