This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page: 1
Swimming in street clothes 
We ended on our discussion at the last board meeting, with the suggestion to google the impact of swimming in street clothes in the pool. So, I googled it and learned that it can lead to clogged pool filters and discolored water. This is why it is not recommended for pools. To address the issue of individuals who are not comfortable wearing a standard swimsuit in the pool, I have also found online full-cover swimwear which is not damaging to pools. Below are the links that I found.

https://www.swimuniversity.com/street-clothes-pool/
https://www.amazon.com/YEESAM%C2%AE-Swi ... B00L4A2BKW

I recommend that we include in our pool rules that no street clothes shall be worn in the pool to be enforced by the pool attendant. We should also provide the attendant with a hard copy of the webpage with the full-cover swimwear so that if a resident states that they can't wear standard swimwear then the attendant can show them the allowable swimwear that is full-cover.

What do the other supervisors think?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:26 pm
I believe that there are a couple of issues here. The first being that I found it embarrassing that we are even discussing adding a new rule, when obviously no one has researched our existing rules. The rules posted in the hallway between the bathrooms already clearly state that proper swim attire must be worn at all times while in the pool. This means that we don't need to create a new rule, because it is already there. Instead, we need to discuss enforcement of an already existing rule. So my question to you is how do we enforce the existing rule that isn't being followed?

Secondly, the swimwear link that you attached shows what appears to be the same attire that is already being worn. How will the enforcer be able to identify if what they are wearing is actually swimwear or not?

Lastly, while I believe proper swimwear to be an acceptable requirement within the pool, I don't think this solves the issue that was presented during our meeting. We need to educate those that simply don't like the look of people swimming fully covered that they are actually wearing their choice of bathing suits just the same as you and I. We can require proper swim material, however we can't require them to wear less clothing.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:40 am
I think we need clarification on what the swimmers, who have been reported to go swimming fully clothed, were wearing. It was my understanding that they were wearing normal street clothes from head to toe instead of head-to-toe swimwear.

Have any Supervisors actually seen this take place?

Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:43 am
I'm assuming that there is a mixture of both. I have seen young kids in jean shorts and t-shirts. I'm assuming they were visiting a friend and decided to go swimming in their clothes as they didn't have a swim suit with them. I think those are separate issues though than what was presented to the board. Those are easily detected not approved swimwear, that should be being enforced. However, no one is currently enforcing that.

I think we also have to remember that saying appropriate swimwear has to be addressed across the board! That even means no t-shirts being worn over bathing suits. There are sleeved shirts that are made out of swim material that falls under the correct definition. If we are going to enforce this rule, then we need to decide how to do so and ensure that it is being enforced for everyone!! Not just enforced to a specific race or ethnicity!!

Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:08 pm
I don't recall anyone saying that a policy should be enforced for only one race or ethnicity. In my opinion, no one on the board would ever do that.

I do recall a Supervisor saying that it has been noted that some people don't feel comfortable showing their arms and legs in public, based on their religious beliefs, so they wear full street clothes from head to toe into the pool. I have not witnessed this but I have been told it is a fact. So, we are trying to figure out a way to resolve the problem of helping those residents adhere to their religious beliefs while ensuring the proper functioning of the pool.

I know that Heritage Isles has swim diapers available for sale. Perhaps, we should have some different sizes of bathing suit tops/bottoms and full-cover available if swimmers didn't bring them.

Based on the articles I saw, I think we should definitely enforce a "No Street Clothes" policy.

Thoughts?

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:18 pm
Cyril i like the idea of absolutely enforcing a NO Street Clothes Policy. BTW there's was never any mention of pointing out any specific religion/culture or belief in a policy however we have the right to enforce no street clothes.

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:39 pm
First of all let me reiterate that from my observations all the CDD supervisors respect all cultures and ethnicity backgrounds.

We can enforce current "Proper Swimwear" policy which needless to say include "No street Clothes" policy.

We can deal with more constructive manner, by engaging with the residents by education, persuasion, and building a dialogue between Muslims and non-Muslims.

If other Supervisors agree I am proposing forming an Ad Hoc committee consisting of cross section of our community to come up with recommendations. CDD will then mull over their recommendations.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:51 am
I have seen the clothes in question and they seemed to be swimwear designed for the purpose of adhering to their beliefs. I also see people wearing t-shirts in the pool.
May I suggest putting a list of what the community agrees as "appropriate swimwear" up in the pool area so that the pool attendant has policy to fall back on and not opinion.
The opposite argument could be made for less attire as well but there currently isn't anything to say a g-string is inappropriate to wear. We basically just need to make an approved, unapproved list that will include all who live in the community and not leave anyone feeling hurt or excluded.
I don't want to tell a pool attendant to tell someone in clothes that are designed to swim in that they can't swim just because it is full coverage while someone almost naked lays on a lounger across the pool.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:03 pm
If the board wants to create an ad-hoc committee, I'm ok with that. However, I agree with John that the pool attendant needs a list of what constitutes swimwear. Whether its full body cover or not, swimwear fabric is essentially nylon or polyester and those fabrics will not damage the pool.

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:57 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Go to page: 1

Search for: