This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page: 1
Policies on emailing non-CLI community events 
We received 2 letters to the board regarding the email that was sent for the New Tampa Back-to-School community event. The first was political in nature and the second was an inquiry regarding our existing policies.

To begin with, I want to share that the event was well received by all who attended. 115 children were in the bounce house in total through the day. Many residents from CLI attended and told me that they had a great time. Some ate at the local restaurants for the first time. It took dozens of hours of preparation but was well worth it because it was a great event for the community.

In his letter, the author of the first letter erroneously stated that all board supervisors contributed financially to my campaign. In fact, one supervisor, who did not contribute to my campaign, did contribute to the author's campaign in 2008 to be on the CDD. Furthermore, I purposefully depoliticized the announcement of the back-to-school event so that the announcement would not add recognition to my campaign but instead be focused on the community aspect of the event. Yet, the author took an apolitical announcement and reintroduced politics into his complaint. He criticized the Supervisors for contributing to my campaign, which is a result of the harmony that has been achieved on our board for the first time in our community's history, yet he failed to mention that he has openly contributed to one of my opponents and has held a private meeting with my opponent at his own home in Cory Lake Isles for the purpose of developing a strategy for that individual to win the race. The letter from this author is a blatent political ploy aimed at harming my run for city council. This author was not motivated by a desire to help our community.

The second letter was an email asking about the CDD policies regarding emailing information about community events inside and outside CLI. The letter questioned the practice of including or not including the sponsors of an event. It also asked about the method of having an event emailed to the CLI residents. I think these are good questions and we should formulate a policy to address this issue.

Historically, the CDD has emailed events that were sponsored by 3rd parties as well as event sponsored by the CDD. There are precedents of events that were sponsored by 3rd parties but no sponsor information was shown. One example is the Ginger Bread House parties there were held around the Holidays. These were sponsored (paid for) by a local realtor but her information was not included in the event emailings. Other sponsored events do show the sponsorship information. Examples of like this are the pool parties.

As a matter of policy, I believe that we should use the CDD email system to notify residents of upcoming events in the larger North Tampa community which our residents may enjoy attending. I believe it should be at the discretion of the 3rd parity if they want to include their branding on the email. Additional questions regarding whether events must be free and open to the public should be addressed. Also, we need to address if the approval of the email should be made by staff, the chair or the board.

What are the other Supervisors thoughts on the policies that you would like us to implement?

Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:34 pm
I do agree that there is major political agenda's being represented here by more than one party. And I do not feel that this is the proper place for such behavior. So, I will not publicly address that issue other than to say that both parties are equally in the wrong here.

As for a policy on events to be advertised, I believe that any events that are advertised to our community need to fully represent all information. Meaning, they should always represent who is hosting or paying for the event. This allows the recipient the option of knowing all of the facts before showing up to an event. I don't have a problem with events being advertised within our community as long as all information is represented and as long as more than one person is making the decision. I don't believe that just the office staff or just the chair should be making this decision alone. I also don't necessarily feel that the entire board needs to make the decision either. By having more than one person assigned to this decision making committee, it takes the potential for blame off of that one person.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:45 am
After reading Chairman's comments and the fact that all the supervisors were given a copy of the letter during the last CDD meeting I am suspecting that this is a personal animosity between two individuals.

However I am against using Cory Lake email data for political purpose or to promote any personal business. If other supervisors would like to adopt certain policies I will support it, but I don't think we need it.

Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:01 pm
We need to establish a policy regarding advertising any events that are held inside or outside the community considering we are using Residents personal emails and could be considered spamming unless it is specifically CLI related. I don't have any further comments regarding the letters sent by the 2 residents, it sounds to me like very old animosity that the current board does not need to get involved with.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:32 pm
I agree that we should have a policy. Since I would be perceived as biased in this case, I suggest that another Supervisor suggests an initial policy and the other Supervisors comment during the SB so that we can make it a policy at the next board meeting.

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:51 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Go to page: 1

Search for: