This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page: 1
MISCELLANEOUS TOPICS 
This topic is open for suggested new Topic subjects by non-Supervisors. Only supervisors can create/start a new topic. This topic is designed so residents can post a question (or comment) to the CDD Board members. A NEW topic will be created if it's determined the question should be separate from the Miscellaneous topic.

In order to get started, press POST REPLY (on the bottom left corner) to this Topic and type either the question or comment to the CDD Board.

Please call the Beach Club (813) 986-1031 for any questions or assistance.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:06 am
Moderator: If you aren't getting many replies to this, it's because the "Post your reply" process is broken. The button wouldn't appear until I logged out, then I could see the button without being logged into my account, clicked post reply, then log back in to make this work. :-(

Anyway my topic is on the horribly bright, and industrial colored street lights the CDD has installed in Capri Isle. Simply put, these lights belong on a warehouse in an industrial are, not a residential one, and certainly not one as nice as Cory Lake Isles. In addition to the disruptive and aesthetically unpleasing color, they are way too bright to use at street level. Even with the blinds closed, my front room next to the street is bright enough to read a book in, and sleeping is next to impossible for my guests. Why were these godawful lights put in to begin with, and why weren't residents asked prior to their installation? Why weren't a couple installed next to Cory Lake Drive so homeowners can make an informed decision what they will look like first? To state they look bad is obviously not lost on the CDD board: why else would installation have stopped months ago at Capri Isle?

Please, please, replace these lights with the previous ones to maintain the continuity of the properties here. Whomever had the idea of putting these lights on side streets is not considering the impact it has on other residents, or the community as a whole. If the reason is for some misplaced security, I can tell you these lights completely destroy whatever night vision people might have: brighter lights cast darker shadows, and it makes driving much more difficult. Why do you think all state and city roads use the previous colored lights?

John S. Burch

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:40 pm
Mr. Burch,

I will have the system checked but I always have to log into to post a reply. Never had an issue unless it times out.

Anyway, your comment about the lights in Capri,

The lights are TECO lights and according to TECO these are going to be the standard for them moving forward. They are phasing out the dim high pressure sodium and metal halide units and replacing them with 4000-4500K LED units.

The CDD had the option to sign a new contract and have them replaced all at once for no charge and a substantial savings annually or they would be replaced one by one as units could't be repaired. This would have caused the community to have bright and dim spots and wouldn't have saved us anything.

TECO stopped installation for two reasons.
1) We requested that they install the trim rings on the new units that were on the ones being replaced. They decided to order new rings instead of continuing with switching over the old ones and that took 4-5 weeks.
2) There was a hurricane that caused areas significant damage so all utilities were pulled for making repairs and restorations and not continuing our change over.

The change over should start back in a week or 2

TECO offers a shield that can be placed on the residence side of the inside of the lamp to help block the light shining towards the house. Not all properties need or want this so I am making a list to give to TECO of those that do.

Feel free to contact the CDD office to be added to that list.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:38 pm
The "Post Reply" button doesn't become visible until I log out. When I press the button, it makes me log back in, and then works: it's weird, but workable I guess.

I understand the issue with TECO, but it doesn't explain why the community wasn't even given a choice to vote whether we feel the added expense of replacing the lights as they went out (not that costly to replace a burned out bulb) was worth it. With the funding paid the CDD, I doubt that would've been a problem. Was a highly visible and important issue like this even in the community newsletter? Also, as Capri Isle is the newest Isle in the community, our lights would've been the last to burn out: why start here? Drive down one night and look down Anguilla Isle, it's lit up like a runway, not a residential area. The end result ruins the aesthetics, looks cheap, and is simply way too bright. The old lights (if less then 2 years counts as old) was wonderful, and made the community look classy. Whatever the financial gain from this venture, it isn't worth it to this homeowner.

John S. Burch

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:53 am
I should add, what are our options to return the lights in Capri Isle to the previous style, and not go forth this venture at all? New lights could then be added where more light is desired, instead of adding lamp shades to lights that are too bright and the wrong color to begin with.

John S. Burch

Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:19 am
I would like the Board to look into the possibility of having the City of Tampa perform a "Traffic Impact Study" within Cory Lakes.

Some of our current stop/street signs and roadway infrastructure are not LEGAL by city codes.

This create barriers when trying to recommend/improve current infrastructure and to have Tampa Police enforce city traffic rules.

It may be a costly venture but, without this study the community will continue to fight vehicular speeding and other traffic infractions with one hand tied behind its back.

Thanks.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:30 pm
I would like to make a recommendation to the CDD Board to put in place a written Pre & Post Recovery Disaster Plan, to include the installment of three (3) Portable Standby Emergency Gas Generators.

Irma made it clear that our community has no written plans to secure vital equipment and for restoring the community back to a state of normality.

As far I can see, we do not currently have a written Disaster Plan for staffing the gates and for the operations of the gates prior to and after a natural or man-made disasters.

This again became even clearer after Irma when, we were hoping our landscape contractor would respond to provide debris cleanup; Security Guards were straggling in back to work and there was no plans to gain control of the opening and closing of the gates by Envera....Envera lost total control of our gate operations.

The bigger question brought up at our October Security Committee was - Why haven't we install Portable Standby Emergency Gas Generators to support the gates and clubhouse during any disaster?

Some may say this idea is nonsense and a waste of money.

Yet, during my investigation I have not found one Security or Facility Manager in the devastation of the South Florida area to confirm their believe.

I called several Marco Island gated communities and my sources are saying "If we had install generators to our gates, we could have secure our communities much faster. Also, following my inquires, some are looking to start planning to install the stand alone emergency generators.

Two source references are:

1. Hide Away Beach Club
Chris Reyelt, General Manager
1-239-642-2801

2. Cape Marco Fiddler's Creek
Marie Puckett, Director of Safety and Health Environment
1-239-732-9300

Cory Lakes gates were kept open for 5 days or more following the storm. We weren't even badly affected by the storm (can you imagine if we took a direct hit, how long the gates would be opened for). Envera had no power and/or systems to place our gates back in normal mode and it took even several more additional days for the kinks to be sorted out, after the initial gate closure. Allowing the gates to open and close by themselves and causing guest/contractors access without any verification.

There is no reason why our gates should not be manned and secured within 48 hours following any disaster.

Also, I will like to recommend to connect the Beach Club to it own Portable Standby Emergency Gas Generators. This would allow the Administrative Staff to begin and bring back normal functions along, with using this facility as a first aid, post disaster staging and holding area for displaced/injured residents and guest.

Having an Emergency Pre and Post Recovery Plan is critical and a necessary tool for the security of our community and should not be wavered on "hopes and a luck".

I hope you will give the Security Team and the community managers the opportunity to fully investigate and implement the true possibilities of connecting our gates and clubhouse to some sort of Standby Emergency Generators.

Thanks.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:56 pm
Aj - I agree we need to discuss the idea of a Pre & Post Disaster Emergency plan in place. Have other board members come across any communities and what their DR plans are for natural Disasters/emergencies?

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:45 pm
I would like to invite Mr. Burch to our October 18 meeting. The CDD Board and facility staff would be happy to listen to him and address all the concerns he has about the 'new' street lights. We will come up with a solution.

I would like to add that there were extensive discussion on this topic and unfortunately the Board had no alternative choice, if I recall, correctly.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:10 pm
Sorry, CDD meeting is on October 19 at 6:00 PM

Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:11 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Go to page: 1

Search for: